All Board members participate in the PTA meetings: the Board has its own 4 meetings/year + full PTA Association has 4 meetings/year + informal meetings of smaller groups. They are expected to take final responsibility for their area of specialty — which is different from doing all the work!
For the VP roles, we attempt to have two people in each role — to split the workload, and also to try and maintain continuity by pairing up more experienced volunteers with newer volunteers.
President and Executive Vice President (EVP)
- Sets the tone for all PTA events, programs and activities – We welcome everyone to our community.
- Oversees and coordinates the work of the board to run the PTA effectively, in accordance with Duveneck PTA bylaws and in alignment with the school’s vision and values.
- Oversees budgets: income/fundraising and expenses/spending
- Presides over PTA Board and Association meetings
- Serves as the official contact, communicator and representative of Duveneck PTA
- Designated as an authorized signer for PTA checks, contracts and authorizations for payment
- Serves as ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee
- Works with other PTA leaders to connect families, school and community to support student success
- Also, PTA membership, Facility Permits, Handbook/ FAQs, Back to School Packet, Packet Pick-Up, Principal’s Coffee, Jan Coffee, Spring Coffee.
- Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions
- Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association
- Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association
- Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report
- Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates
- Oversees distribution of and collection of funds from single check form at the start of the year
- Maintains online web store to collect funds for events
- Takes minutes at board and association meetings
- Co-signs formal papers with president: authorizations for payment, resolutions and formal letters
- Handles PTA correspondence as directed by the president
- Maintains and preserves PTA records and important documents to pass on at the end of the term
VPs of Communications:
- Ensures they are aware of all of the activities being coordinated by the PTA
- Prepares the weekly eNews newsletter. Wordsmiths contributions to the newsletter for clarity and consistent style.
- Maintains PTA web site, ensures eNews content is reflected there.
- Maintains PTA calendar.
- Work with other PTA Board Members to plan key communication dates.
- Drive the PTA’s communication timeline.
- Review all current and recurring PTA communications.
- Assists other VPs and chairs in preparing clear and efficient communication materials.
VPs of Ways and Means:
- Fiscally responsible person to help keep order to the operations of our school
- Signs contracts, issues payments, is the face of Duveneck for vendors.
- Oversees the recruiting and securing of the chairs for Just Parties, Direct Ask, Corporate matching, Amazon smile, Book fair, Adopt-a-book, Bagel Thursdays and Yearbook.
VPs of Outreach and Community:
- Ensures Duveneck is an inclusive fun place for all families to get to know one another and to make our community stronger
- Invites parents, students, teachers, families to participate and volunteer
- Seeks to make introductions and connections
- Oversee recruiting and securing of the chairs for programs such as Kinder Playdates, New Family Playdates, Classroom Parents, Grade Social Committees and International Potluck
- New Family Program addresses interim transfers, HUR Outreach/coordination with PAUSD Family Engagement Specialist
VPs of Parent and Student Programs:
- Acquires speakers, schedules and promotes school topics for parent and student involvement.
- Oversee recruiting and securing of the chairs for programs such as Library Volunteers, Dragon Care, Green Team, Parent Chaperones, Safety, Lost and Found, Noon Programs, Working Wonders, Inclusion, Children’s Theatre, Save The Bay, Math Nights, Science Fair, Parent Education
VPs of Events and Appreciation:
- Wants everyone within the Duveneck community to have good time, in charge of orchestrating the planning of all events and parties.
- Oversee recruiting and securing of the chairs for each of the events and parties such as Back to School Luncheon, First Day of School, Friday Treats, Harvest Carnival, Ice Skating Parties, Spring Coffee, Staff Appreciation Week, May Fete Parade (K&1), Talent Show, Honorary Service Awards, Fifth Grade Promotion Reception.
- Assists the president to manage meetings and advises on parliamentary procedure
- Chairs bylaws committee to review unit bylaws each year and revise bylaws every three years
- Arranges nominating committee’s first meeting, providing information on nomination and election process
- Audits the books and financial records of PTA to determine their accuracy
- Presents written reports on audits to the board and the association for adoption
- Forwards copies of adopted audits to council/district PTA as indicated in unit bylaws
- Captures, assembles and preserves record of activities and achievements of PTA
- Collects volunteer hours for PTA meetings and events
- Completes and submits the PTA Unit-Annual Historian Report to council/district PTA
- Fills out Historian Summary Report and files copies as Historian records, like minutes are kept forever
- Copies for minutes, procedure book and, if applicable, president’s memory book
- Displays or presents brief overview of PTA year at meeting near the end of the school year